Bus Rules & Safety
Families and schools share the responsibility for providing a safe environment for students while they are riding district buses and during times of emergency school closures. Please encourage your student(s) to be cooperative in observing the bus safety rules.
It is recommended that parents and students arrive at their bus stops five (5) minutes prior to the published time. Students on buses are expected to conform to behavior rules corresponding to classroom conduct regulations. They must:
- Remain safely seated and quiet,
- Refrain from throwing objects,
- Keep hands to yourselves,
- Be courteous to others, and
- Obey the bus drivers at all times.
Drivers will give bus conduct reports to students who do not follow bus rules, and administrators have the authority to take appropriate disciplinary action, including suspending a student from riding the bus.
Student safety training extends from reviewing the riders' rules to rehearsing emergency exit procedures. Emergency exit drills are practiced periodically during the year. The bus driver will instruct students on the use of emergency exits and will supervise students as they practice their use.
Snohomish bus drivers meet all school bus driver certification and CDL requirements, and are well-trained in the use of their bus and emergency equipment. All buses are equipped with two-way radios, most have sanders, and all can use chains when necessary. In addition, some buses have video camera boxes and cameras that are routinely moved from bus to bus.
We have an outstanding record of keeping our buses and other vehicles safe and well maintained. Our vehicle maintenance crew has received commendations from the Washington State Patrol and the Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction for safety inspections. We also regularly purchase new vehicles to keep our bus fleet up to date.
We highly value the safety of those who ride our buses, and will do our best to ensure that each student arrives at school, and back home, safely. For everyone’s safety, it is important that all students are aware of bus rules and regulations (see district Policy 6605 and Procedure 6605P).
- Board bus when the driver indicates that it is safe for you to do so.
- Always cross in front of the bus.
- Students are to ride only their regularly assigned bus and leave the bus at their regular stop.
- To ride another bus or get off at a different stop requires parent/guardian permission and authorization of the school.
- Walk when boarding the bus.
- Exit the bus by walking and step away into a safe zone.
- Keep hands, feet and objects inside the bus at all times.
- Aisle ways must be clear.
- Animals, firearms, weapons, or breakable items (containers, art projects, etc.) are prohibited.
- Students will be at the bus stop five (5) minutes before scheduled arrival time and be accountable for their action.
- Students will follow proper load and unload procedures.
- When the driver asks “may I have your attention please” all eyes should be on the driver and riders should remain silent.
- Remain silent and wait to hear instructions or directions.
- Sit seat to seat, back to back and feet on floor in front of you.
- Wear seatbelts when equipped.
- Keep the aisle clear.
- Speak softly and appropriately.
- Refrain from obscene language and gestures.
- Leave valuables at home.
- Be nice.
- Speak softly and appropriately.
- Be kind and helpful.
- Keep your belongings in your space and in your control.
- Don’t touch other people or their belongings.
- Take care of the bus – don’t vandalize.