Weather Events & Outages
We know that our Pacific Northwest weather can be unpredictable. Please take a few minutes to review the information below so you know what to expect when there is a weather event or power outage during a school day. It’s difficult when things happen that are out of our control, and we thank you in advance for your patience and flexibility.
In the event of snow & other weather conditions
In the event that snow, or other weather conditions that make it unsafe to report to school buildings, instruction will continue through our current remote model.
- All learning will be online, remote learning for that day(s).
- There will be no late starts due to snow or weather events.
- There will no bussing or district transportation.
- There will be no in-person preschool and special education services for students who have services scheduled on those days. Those services will be provided through the online, remote model.
- No meals will be provided that day.
Student, staff & family notification
In the event that snow, or other weather conditions make it unsafe to report to school buildings, automated phone calls and emails will be sent to all district families through the School Messenger system (the system is automatically populated with the primary phone numbers and email addresses available in the Skyward/Family Access system). Messages will be sent by 6 a.m.
- A notice will be posted on the district Facebook page – www.facebook.com/snohomishschooldistrict
- A notice will be placed on the district website – www.sno.wednet.edu
- Local television and radio stations will be notified.
- Emails will be sent through our listserv newsletter subscription system.
- A notice will be sent through the statewide public emergency notification system – www.flashalertseattle.net
In the event of power & internet outages
If you lose power or Internet at home, please do the following, if possible:
- Contact your teacher or school to report the outage.
- Continue to work on previously assigned learning activities.
- Participate in on-demand activities if possible.
The above actions will likely address most situations encountered in our region. Should the district determine that remote learning with emergency learning plans could not be successfully provided, the district may announce a district-wide closure. All learning activities would be canceled and a make-up day would be added to the school calendar.
- District weather info - https://www.sno.wednet.edu/weather
- Inclement weather information bulletin - https://www.sno.wednet.edu/Page/2202
- FlashAlert - http://www.flashalertseattle.net/closures-cats.html
- Puget Sound Energy outage map - https://pse.com/accountsandservices/servicealert/pages/outage-map.aspx
- Snohomish County PUD outage map - https://outagemap.snopud.com/
- Snohomish County road closure information - https://snohomishcountywa.gov/518/Road-Closures
- Snohomish County snow and ice response - https://snohomishcountywa.gov/2113/Snow-and-Ice-Response