I have always been fascinated with information literacy, whether it is print, visual, or in electronic mediums, so it made sense that I would move into a professional field that would emphasize my interest in how information is presented to our world. The other side of the information coin is instructional design - how do you effectively present information so students will learn to the best of their ability. You can't have quality instruction of a subject without the proper information presented in a dynamic way. Lastly, I love working with students, so it made perfect sense to become a school library media specialist. I get to help students learn how to locate information, select the information they need, organize their information, and communicate their learning in effective ways. And I'm in a profession that is on the cutting edge of the information revolution facing our nation.
Personally, my wife and I celebrated our 35th wedding anniversary this year. Our family enjoys playing all sorts of games. In fact, we meet once a week with our friends to spend an evening playing games. Our gaming group has been meeting for the last 26 years. When a new game comes out our group will try it out. Many members of our group work in the gaming industry, so sometimes we get to beta test new games. In addition, our family enjoys attending theater events, local festivals, and camping. Maybe we'll see you around the Puget Sound area.
- Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
Major: Instructional Systems Technology; Minor: Library and Information Science. A.B.D., 1993.
- Oregon College of Education (now Western Oregon University), Monmouth, OR.
Major: Education: Educational Media. Master of Science, 1981.
- Whitman College, Walla Walla, WA
Majors: History and Dramatic Art; Minor: Education. Bachelor of Arts, 1977.
I've been teaching for 43 years, the last 38 years as a library media specialist. I've taught at every grade level from kindergarten through Ph.D. programs. This is my 26th year in the Snohomish School District, and my 11th year at Glacier Peak High School.
- Library Media Specialist. Glacier Peak High School, Snohomish, WA. 2008 - present.
- Library Media Specialist. Snohomish Freshman Campus, Snohomish, WA. 1999 - 2008.
- Library Media Specialist. Totem Falls Elementary, Snohomish, WA. 1994 - 1998.
- Lecturer, University of Washington's Extension Program, School of Library & Information Sciences, Seattle, WA. Library Automation. Fall 1995.
- Assistant Professor, University of Iowa, School of Library & Information Sciences, Iowa City, IA. Reference Services & Library Automation, Summer 1993.
- Instructor, Indiana University, School of Library & Information Sciences, Bloomington, IN. Microcomputers in Libraries. Spring & Summer 1991.
- Lecturer, Portland State University, Library Program, Portland, OR. Microcomputers in Libraries. Summers, 1988 & 1989.
- Library Media Specialist. Lake Oswego Junior High School, Lake Oswego, OR. 1982 - 1990.
- Who's Who Albert Nelson Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, 2019
- 2014 Washington Achievement Award for Overall Excellence
- 2013 Washington Achievement Award for Overall Excellence and Special Recognition
- 2013 Washington State School of Distinction
- 2012 Washington State School of Distinction
- Dictionary of International Biography, 23rd edition
- Who's Who in American Education 1994-1995, 4th edition
- Who’s Who in American Education 1992-1993, 3rd edition
- Constance Dorothea Weinman Scholarship, 1992
- Pi Lambda Theta Honor and Professional Association, 1992
- Indiana University Fee Scholarship, 1992-1993
- Indiana University Fee Scholarship, 1991-1992
- Indiana University Fee Scholarship, 1990-1991
- National School of Excellence, 1985
- Oregon School of Excellence, 1985
- Oregon School of Excellence, 1984
- Whitman Scholarship, 1976-1977
- Whitman Scholarship, 1975-1976
- Indiana University, Bloomington, IN
Hello, my name is Susan Waltz. I am the Assistant Librarian here at Glacier Peak High School. I have a passion for books, art and working with young adults. I feel very fortunate I get to do something I love every day by helping students find a good book to read and creating the displays for the library.
I have been an assistant librarian for over 15 years, including the last three years at Glacier Peak High School.