Dual Credit Options: Earning College Credit in High School

  • Dual-credit programs allow students to earn high school and college credit simultaneously. Students can earn dual credit by completing college courses or by completing standardized exams. The Launch Year Act of 2011 requires all public high schools in Washington to work toward increasing the number of dual-credit courses offered to high school students. Although there are a variety of dual-credit programs offered in Washington, not all programs are available at all high schools. For more information, click here.

Dual Credit Options: College in the High School

  • The College in the High School program allows students to earn college credit through a local community college for courses they are taking at the high school. Course offerings are determined by the community college. Tuition is at a reduced rate from the community college, and course materials are provided. Credits are transferrable to all public and most private in-state colleges and universities. It is advisable to check with admissions offices of out-of-state and private institutions to which the student is applying before enrolling and spending money on tuition.

    Click here to download a copy of the parent/student handbook for the program.

CTE Dual Credit

  • CTE Dual Credit classes are taken on the high school campus and are identified as Career and Technical Education (CTE) classes.  CTE classes integrate academics with technical skill development to help prepare stuednts for advanced education and careers related to "professional-technical" occupations.

    Career and Technical Education Dual Credit and College in the High School

Dual Credit Options: Running Start

  • The Running Start program offers qualified students the opportunity to earn college credits and/or an Associate's degree before graduating from high school. Students may choose to enroll either part or full time at any participating community college. If enrolling part time, students are responsible for choosing courses to fit the high school schedule as well. Running Sart credits are transferrable to public and private colleges and universities, but how those credits transfer is up to the college or university.

    Each community college has its own entrance requirements and application procedures. Tuition is free, but students must pay for fees, books and materials and must provide their own transportation.

    It is advisable to make an appointment with a counselor at the community college once a student has been accepted to help create the college portion of the educational plan. High school counselors assist in helping students to understand the college equivalents needed in order to complete a high school diploma, but they do not assist students in choosing courses that transfer to colleges and universities or those that will complete an Associate's degree.

    To view the various running start programs in the area, click on the appropriate link below.

    Current GPHS Counseling presentation:  RS Dual Credit Opportunities Presentation