Elementary K-3 Highly Capable Program
Snohomish School District's K-3 highly capable services are provided in the general education classroom with learning opportunities around depth, complexity and acceleration. Students are referred on for testing through each school's child study team.
Indicators may come from classroom-based assessments, CogAT scores along with parent and/or teacher observations. Students who may be a candidate for highly capable services are those who exhibit some of the following characteristics:
- Learns more rapidly and easily than their peers
- Offers original and imaginative responses
- Has extensive vocabulary
- Asks many questions
- Has a sophisticated sense of humor
- K-3 highly capable packets due November 8, 2023.
- Packets should be returned to the student's school or can be dropped off at the district's Resource and Service Center (1601 Avenue D in Snohomish).
- K-3 highly capable testing will take place in December or early January.
- Parents/guardians and teachers will complete the Student Inventories found in the referral packet and return the inventories and Permission to Test Form to the district office.
- K-3 highly capable testing will take place at the home school, during the school day.
- K-3 highly capable make-up testing – January 2024
- K-3 multi-disciplinary committee placement meetings at elementary schools – January 22-February 2, 2024
- K-3 highly capable placement letters mailed home – Week of February 12, 2024
- K-3 highly capable appeals due - Within 30 days of receiving the placement letter and results
- K-3 highly capable learning plans developed for new students and Implemented – Beginning late February 2024
Decisions made to determine highly capable services in the general education classroom will be made by a multi-disciplinary committee which is made up of a school principal, school psychologist, highly capable specialist and teacher. The highly capable specialist will meet with the classroom teacher to create and embed learning opportunities around depth, complexity and acceleration to provide challenging options.
- Please click here to download the kindergarten-3rd grade highly capable referral packet (print single-sided, not front and back).
- Please click here to download the kindergarten-3rd grade highly capable referral packet - Spanish (print single-sided, not front and back).
- Please click here to download the kindergarten-3rd grade highly capable referral packet - Russian. (print single-sided, not front and back)