Elementary K-3 Highly Capable Program
Snohomish School District's K-3 highly capable services are provided in the general education classroom with learning opportunities around depth, complexity and acceleration. Students are referred on for testing through each school's child study team.
Indicators may come from classroom - based assessments, STAR reading and math scores along with parent and/or teacher observations. Students who may be a candidate for highly capable services are those who exhibit some of the following characteristics:
- Learns more rapidly and easily than their peers
- Offers original and imaginative responses
- Has extensive vocabulary
- Asks many questions
- Has a sophisticated sense of humor
Once a student has been referred on for testing, a referral packet will be sent home through the school. Parents and teachers will complete the Student Inventory Guide (SIGS) and return the referral packet and inventories to the district office for further testing. Referral packets due:
- Monday, November 2, 2020. Packets should be returned to the student's school or can be dropped off at the district's Resource and Service Center (1601 Avenue D in Snohomish).
Decisions made to determine highly capable services in the general education classroom will be made by a multi-disciplinary committee which is made up of a school principal, school psychologist, highly capable specialist and teacher. The highly capable specialist will meet with the classroom teacher to create and embed learning opportunities around depth, complexity and acceleration to provide challenging options.
- Please click here to download a reference sheet.
- Please click here to download the kindergarten-3rd grade highly capable referral packet.
- Please click here to download the kindergarten-3rd grade highly capable referral packet (Spanish).
- Please click here to download the kindergarten-3rd grade highly capable referral packet (Russian).