New Student Enrollment FAQs
How do I enroll my student?
- The Snohomish School District uses a new student online enrollment process. For families who currently have a student attending a school in the Snohomish School District and are enrolling another student, please log in to Skyward/Family Access and click on new student enrollment to begin the process. If you are a new or returning family to the Snohomish School District, click here to begin the process. If you are a returning family and you are getting a message saying that you cannot use your email address, it is because that email address is attached to your prior account in our system. Please either contact your home school to have your email address removed from your prior account or enter a different email address.
How long will it take to complete the online enrollment?
- The process will take about 20 minutes. You can save as you go and do not have to complete it all in one sitting. Save your login and password to access application later.
What paperwork do I need to enroll my new student?
- You will need the following documents ready and will need to upload into the online enrollment application process. You will also need to bring in your parent/guardian photo ID and a signed hardcopy of the verified Certificate of Immunization Status (CIS) to the school for verification before your student’s application can be approved.
- Proof of birth date (birth certificate or passport)
- Proof of residency – One of the following:
- A utility bill (gas, water, or electric)
- Home purchase papers or property tax statement
- Lease/rental agreement (original)
- Parenting plan and/or restraining order (if applicable)
Why so much paperwork?
- The specific paperwork required for enrollment has not changed in moving from a paper-based system to this online system. State law and district policy requires that we verify the birthdate of the enrolling student, the student’s proof of residency, and that the student has medically verified immunization record (or has the appropriate exemption).
When can my student start school?
- Enrollment is always open for the current school year and enrollment for the upcoming fall opens in March of the same calendar year. If you are enrolling your student after the first day of school, once the application has been processed and you have taken the required documents to your school, you will be provided with the start date for your student.
What grade should my student be in?
- When entering your student’s date of birth, the system will automatically select the appropriate grade level for your student. Reminder: Children must be five years old by August 31 in order to enroll for kindergarten.
I want to enroll my student for the next school year, however the form puts the wrong grade in for my student. Why?
- Online enrollment for the next school year typically opens during March of the same calendar year. The new student online enrollment process assigns students to the grade level that matches their date of birth. In the case of an incoming kindergartener, the current grade level would be P4. There is no need to update the grade level, as you will have the opportunity to select which school year you are enrolling your student for. Once you select to enroll for the next school year, the system will automatically update the expected grade level to next year’s grade level (in the case of an incoming kindergartener, the expected grade level will be K1).
How do I know which school my student will attend?
Students should live within the attendance boundary of a school in order to enroll. Unsure of which school your child will attend? Use our SchoolSite Locator Service. Enter an address and the list of schools for that particular address will pop up:
I see my information is already in step 2, but some of it has changed. Why can’t I change it?
- For families who already have a student enrolled in the Snohomish School District and have logged in through Skyward/Family Access, all the family information will be pulled in to the new student online enrollment form for you. In the event any existing information is incorrect or has changed, only the administrative assistant or registrar at your student’s school can change it. Please contact a school in which you have a student attending to update any incorrect information. Those corrections will automatically update for all of your children.
After submitting my online application for this year, how long will it take for my student to start school?
- Please allow up to three school days for the school registrar to process an application for the current school year. Please visit our calendars page for specific dates when schools will be closed. Applications submitted during the summer will be processed when office staff return to the schools in August. Once the application has been processed and you have taken the required documents to your school, you will be provided with the start date for your student.
I’ve submitted an application for next school year, when will I hear from you again?
- Please allow up to two to three weeks for the school registrar to process your next year application. Applications will only be processed on days when schools are open. Please visit our calendars page for specific dates when schools will be closed. Applications submitted during the summer will be processed when office staff return to the schools in August. You will receive an email when your application is approved.