Student Support Advocate
Hello, my name is Jason West and I am the student support advocate (SSA) at Glacier Peak High School.
What is an SSA? Simply put, I am a case manager. I work alongside counselors and other staff to make sure that young people and families can overcome any barriers to their academic experience (think community resources). That is a very broad description because my job is very broad. Below are some examples of some types of students\situations I work with:
- Homelessness/McKinney Vento
- Students using drugs or alcohol
- Students who are not safe at home
- Students having thoughts of suicide (I am not a licensed therapist, but I will get these students to the right spot).
- Students who need health insurance
- Students who need to see a doctor or mental health professional
- Students and families who need any sort of documentation (ID, birth cert, social security)
- Low-income barriers
- LGBTQAI+ resources
I work with students and families in a harm-reduction and strength-based manner to achieve goals that they have identified. If you are ever wondering if you should refer a student to me but are not sure, feel free to send me their name and I will sort out the details. It is never a waste of my time to meet a student-if they don’t need resources, they likely know someone who does.
How to contact me (families and students)
- In-person: My office is located on the third floor in the counseling office
- Phone: 360-926-6003 (okay for staff, families and youth)
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org