Running Start

  • The Running Start program offers qualified students the opportunity to earn college credits and/or an Associate's degree before graduating from high school. Students may choose to enroll either part or full time at any participating community college. If enrolling part time, students are responsible for choosing courses to fit the high school schedule as well. Running Start credits are transferrable to public and private colleges and universities, but how those credits are transferred is up to the college or university.

    Each community college has its own entrance requirements and application procedures. Tuition is free, but students must pay for fees, books and materials and must provide their own transportation.

    It is advisable to make an appointment with a counselor at the community college once a student has been accepted to help create the college portion of the educational plan. High school counselors assist in helping students to understand the college equivalents needed in order to complete a high school diploma, but they do not assist students in choosing courses that transfer to colleges and universities or those that will complete an associate degree.

    To view the various running start programs in the area, click on the appropriate link below.

    If you are interested in learning more about Running Start, please contact your school counselor.