Interested in becoming a lifeguard? The Snohomish Aquatic Center offers American Red Cross lifeguard training courses. The courses are designed to prevent and manage emergencies in and around the water. This training includes water and land rescue techniques and how to deliver critical care such as CPR, use an AED and perform first aid when moments matter.
The Snohomish Aquatic Center lifeguard training course is taught in a blended learning format. Students will be required to complete online education session at home, prior to the course sessions, and provide a certificate of completion prior to each course day. Instruction will combine lecture and in-water skills practice to ensure that all course content is sufficiently covered prior to final testing. Upon successful completion, students will receive certification in lifeguarding, CPR, first-aid, AED, and bloodborne pathogens.
- Candidates must be 15-years old or older by the last day of the course.
- 100% attendance is required at all class sessions.
- Candidates will be required to perform a swimming assessment on the first day. The assessment is:
- A 300-yard swim, using either freestyle/crawlstroke or breaststroke.
- Tread water for two minutes without use of the hands.
- Swim 20 yards, dive no less than 10 feet, and retrieve an object weighing 10 pounds. Return to the starting point, keeping both hands on the object, and the face out of the water. Remove the object, and then exit the pool without using stairs or a ladder.
Lifeguard training course dates (two session options)
Session 1 - December 15-17
- Friday, December 15, 3-8 p.m.
- Saturday, December 16, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- Sunday, December 17, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
Session 2 - December 27-30
- Wednesday, December 27, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- Thursday, December 28, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- Friday, December 29, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.
- Saturday, December 30, 9 a.m.- 5 p.m.