Senior Community Service Requirements
Senior Community Service Requirement
- It is a graduation requirement to complete eight hours of community service.
- Please review the information and submit hours to Mr. May on Canvas or in person (room 201).
- View Upcoming Opportunities
- Bring the Verification Form with you when you do your service!
Senior Community Service Guidelines
Students graduating from the Snohomish School District must complete a minimum of eight (8) hours of community service during senior year that meets the criteria below:
- Serve an organization that is non-profit, 501(c)3 and offers service opportunities that are community oriented.
- A minimum of eight (8) hours is required of all students. The required hours must be performed outside of the school day and can be done anytime between June 1, 2021 and June 1, 2022.
- No “Double Dipping.” The service must be a stand-alone eight (8) hours. This means you should not be gaining from doing this service in any capacity besides fulfilling your senior requirement. You may not be paid for your time, earn credit from a class, fulfill a court order, earn another award or honor, etc. It should also not be something that you are doing as part of a being in a school club or activity.
- Record your hours on the Glacier Peak High School Verification Form and get it signed by someone at the organization who supervised your service.
Opportunities listed on this website, the junior flyer, the pre-approved list, or the Glacier Peak High School Daily Bulletin are considered approved.
Information regarding school districts
We prefer students to find community service opportunities outside of our school district (or any school district), but we recognize that there are some opportunities within our district that provide meaningful community impact. Use the following information as a guide to help you understand what would and would not be approved:
- Must be service based and must be pre-approved using our permission form prior to starting your service (no later than May 1)
- Examples of service that may be approved: an organized campus cleanup, helping an outside organization who is hosting an event at our school, helping with an elementary school science fair or other activity that could not be accomplished without the help of volunteers, etc.
- Examples of service that would likely not be approved: Anything done as part of being in a particular class, club, activity, or sport. If it is something your club is doing as a group, you cannot also count it for your senior hours (see “double dipping”). Anything that is considered part of a school employee's job description (cleaning classrooms, grading papers, etc) would not be approved.
- No booster club or other athletic/activity fundraising activities will be allowed.
Information regarding religious organizations
While students may not count religious activities that promote a certain religion, we recognize that many religious-based organizations conduct service opportunities that have significant community impact. Use the following as a guide to help determine which religious-based activities would and would not be approved:
- Must be service-based and must be pre-approved using our permission form prior to starting your service.
- Examples of service that may be approved: serving the homeless, clothing/food drives, serving the elderly, etc.
- Examples of service that would likely not be approved: teaching Sunday school, participating in church band/choir, or ministering on behalf of your faith.
- If you are unsure if your hours will qualify, please see Mr. May in room 201.
Information regarding for-profit businesses
Working for free at a for-profit business is typically not allowed. Community service should be done for non-profit organizations that help the community. If your service simply results in increased profits for a business, then it will not count as community service. However, if the business is organizing an event that benefits the community, then exceptions can be made (fill out the permission form ahead of time).