- Department Homepage
- Who's Who in Communications
- Newsletters & Communications
- Media Inquiries
- Student Photographs
- School Messenger
- Website Accessibility
- Social Media
Nick of Time Foundation EKG Youth Heart Screenings – November 1
Did you know that sudden cardiac arrest is the leading cause of death in exercising or at play young people on school campus and is typically the result of undiagnosed structural or electrical heart disease? The best way to detect life threatening heart conditions is through a heart screening developed for young hearts that includes a comprehensive family health history, electrocardiogram (EKG/electrical) and potentially an echocardiogram (ECHO/ultrasound).
The Nick of Time Foundation will be conducting FREE heart screenings for district youth at Snohomish High School (SHS) on Wednesday, November 1, from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Screening appointments are available on a first-come, first-serve basis for any child, athlete or not, regardless of where enrolled in school. Nick of Time Foundation, in partnership with the UW Center for Sports Cardiology, conducts EKG youth heart screenings for adolescents and young adults ages 12-24. Screenings consist of a heart health survey asking about possible signs and symptoms or family history of a heart condition. An EKG is performed that analyzes the electrical signals of the heart and the results are reviewed on site by medical professionals experienced in EKG youth heart screens. A simple EKG can identify certain serious heart conditions that cannot be detected by a stethoscope. SHS is located at 1316 Fifth Street in Snohomish.
What happens at a screening? The screening is completely painless and non-invasive (no needles or x-ray exposure) and consists of:
- Review of health history questionnaire
- EKG screening (small patches with a mild latex free adhesive will be placed on the chest, legs, and arms. Electrodes are attached to the patches and the heart’s electrical activity is recorded)
- “Hands only” instruction in CPR and AED training
- Doctor consult and screening results review
- Some participants may also have a heart sounds physical or limited echocardiogram (ultrasound) of their heart.
Snohomish High School registration information
- Screening appointments are available at Snohomish High School (SHS) from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesday, November 1, in the SHS gymnasium. SHS students must pre-register for an appointment at: http://bit.ly/NoTFEKGAppt
- Screening appointments at SHS are available on a first-come, first-serve basis for any child, athlete or not, regardless of where enrolled in school. All must pre-register at the link above. Forms will need to be completed and returned to the SHS athletic office.
- Parents/guardians will need to provide transportation to/from the screening for any non-SHS student who is registered.
- Click here for SHS appointment information and important forms that must be completed.
Glacier Peak High School ONLY registration information
- A dedicated block of screening appointment times have been set aside for Glacier Peak High School (GPHS) students from 9-10 a.m. and from 10:30-11:30 a.m. on Wednesday, November 1, in the SHS gymnasium. District bus transportation to SHS will be provided for all GPHS students who enroll in the screening. GPHS students ONLY will be bussed to/from SHS and must pre-register for an appointment in-person in the GPHS athletic office to receive required forms and reserve bus transportation.
- Click here for GPHS appointment information and important forms that must be completed.
- Nick of Time Foundation website - https://nickoftimefoundation.org/
- UW Medicine Center for Sports Cardiology – How to Save a Life – Recognize Sudden Cardiac Arrest in Athletes video - https://youtu.be/i-iN9o-cKu0?feature=shared
Heart screening registration forms must be completed and submitted to the appropriate high school athletic office prior to the November 1 Nick of Time screening. If you have questions, please contact:
- Rory Rosenbach, Glacier Peak High School Athletic Director, at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Zach Ward, Snohomish High School Athletic Director, at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Snohomish School District Communications Dept. at email@example.com