- Snohomish School District
- Re-Opening - District Communication Archive
Re-Opening - District Communication Archive
June 8, 2020 - Follow-Up Communication - Re-Opening Committee
This is a follow-up communication to the district email sent Friday, June 5, regarding the district’s Re-Opening Committee. We appreciate all of the feedback we have received to date. We wanted to provide an update and some answers to the questions and concerns that have been asked:
- We continue to await direction from Governor Inslee, OSPI and the Washington State Department of Health regarding their guidance on the statewide approach for K-12 education in the 2020-2021 school year. We expect that guidance to be adjusted and refined over time as we get more health info, the science evolves, there are more inputs. We learned this afternoon that that the state guidance will be communicated later this week (not today as originally anticipated).
- We are aware that the state’s guidance topics will likely include school-day scheduling, curriculum and instruction, grading, assessments, whole child supports, family/community engagement, communication, transportation, facilities, nutrition and finance.
- The state’s workgroup was created to inform recommendations and guidance for school districts as they plan for the reopening of Washington's schools in the 2020–2021 school year. This workgroup consists of more than 100 educators, education leaders, elected officials, community-based organizations, parents, students, and community members from across the state. No individuals from the Snohomish School District were invited to be a part of that group. Information on the state workgroup and its activity to date is available at www.k12.wa.us/about-ospi/workgroups-committees/currently-meeting-workgroups/reopening-washington-schools-2020-21-workgroup
- Once the guidance from the state is received later this week, the district’s Re-Opening Committee will use that information to guide its work as it moves forward. The Re-Opening Committee will make its recommendations to the School Board in July.
- Parent members of the district’s Re-Opening Committee were initially selected after being recommended to the Superintendent by our school Principals. We are looking to expand the parent representation by six participants. If you are interested in being considered, please send an email by Thursday, June 11, to firstname.lastname@example.org and include your name, contact information (email and phone), ages/grades/schools of students in the district, and a brief background statement explaining why you are interested in being a member of the committee. Meetings are typically held weekly on Friday mornings for 2 hours. Committee member attendance and participation in these meetings is important.
- The Re-Opening Committee will be gathering input from our students, parents and families throughout the process. All committee agendas, minutes, handouts and notes are also available at www.sno.wednet.edu/reopening. If there is input you would like to provide, please send an email to email@example.com.
- As more information for the state and district’s Re-Opening Committee is available we will continue to communicate with our district families on a regular basis.
Again, thank you. Your input is important as we move forward.